Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Winter Storms of the Past

The year was 1973, we had the biggest snowfall ever...13 inches... and my brother and I had chicken pox.  We had to watch my dad build the snowman from behind the sliding glass doors.  The snowman was as
tall as the light pole, or so it seemed.

Rewind to 1982, Olivia Newton John's "Physical" was the #1 hit and gas was a mere $1.20 per gallon. The low was minus 1 in Birmingham. The snow and ice made travel next to impossible, leaving some travelers stranded.  Power was knocked out for days in Montgomery and across Central Alabama.  People headed to shelters to stay warm. 20 people were killed during the extreme cold of that year. 

In 1985 and I was a senior in high school.  (I was only 10 years old when I graduated.)  The low that Tuesday morning, January 22, was 0 degrees.  I remember my face freezing as I ran to the ag shop and worrying that I had frost bite.

The biggest winter storm in recent memory was the Superstorm of 1993.  We had THUNDER SNOW.  Cool, huh...until our pine tree fell on the neighbors house penetrating the roof above the baby's crib.  More than a foot of snow fell in Birmingham.  And almost every other corner of state, including the coast, saw snow.   The storm also caused one of the largest outages in the history of Alabama Power.

So was this the storm of a generation.  I guess that depends on your generation.  :)